Design and technology is essentially a practical subject that allows children to think imaginatively and creatively and to become more autonomous and effective problem solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. Our aim is to provide children with a rich and enjoyable experience of design and technology, in which they can acquire and develop their own designing and making skills in line with our school’s identified “curriculum drivers” and learning skills initiative.
End KS 1
At the end of KS1 pupils will develop the confidence and foundations to plan and evaluate for the purpose of design technology for both real and relevant problems.
They will begin to develop an understanding within the context of their broader curriculum the impact of design and technology on daily life and the wider world.
End KS 2
At the end of KS2 pupils will become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable pupils. Independently able to use design technology to solve both real and relevant problems.
Through evaluating the past and present in design and technology, pupils will develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and wider world, making essential contributions to the creativity, culture, wealth and well- being of the nation.
Our Design Technology Curriculum enables pupils:
- To develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- To enable children to think and talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas;
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques to make quality products, whilst following safe procedures;
- To use and explore a range of materials, resources and equipment;
- To explore attitudes towards the made world and how we live and work within it;
- To develop an understanding of technological processes, products, their manufacture and their contribution to our society;
- To use the internet to explore ideas and already made products;
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making things