Design and technology is essentially a practical subject that allows children to think imaginatively and creatively and to become more autonomous and effective problem solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. Our aim is to provide children with a rich and enjoyable experience of design and technology, in which they can acquire and develop their own designing and making skills in line with our school’s identified “curriculum drivers” and learning skills initiative.
Our Design Technology Curriculum enables pupils:
- To develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- To enable children to think and talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas;
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques to make quality products, whilst following safe procedures;
- To use and explore a range of materials, resources and equipment;
- To explore attitudes towards the made world and how we live and work within it;
- To develop an understanding of technological processes, products, their manufacture and their contribution to our society;
- To use the internet to explore ideas and already made products;
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making things
Design Technology After School Club
We have a lot of fun in our Design and Technology club. We create products each week, applying different skills for each product. So far we have made kites and had lots of fun testing them out. We have also made our own dream catchers and Chinese New Year drums.